Learning Business Consultant
At Tagoras (pronounced tah-GOR-us), we have more than 15 years of experience serving the global market for adult lifelong learning, continuing education, and professional development. We advise learning businesses on how to maximize their reach, revenue, and impact, and we publish educational content to support those who serve and are served by learning businesses.
While organized as a for-profit company, Tagoras is mission-driven. Learning businesses play a vital role in society, and we believe deeply in the power of learning to transform individuals, organizations, and communities.
Historically, our consulting clients have been trade and professional associations that offer lifelong learning, continuing education, professional development, workforce development, and/or credentialing programs. We have begun expanding our focus to also include academic professional, continuing, and online (PCO) education units and commercial training firms with similar offerings. Key commonalities across our consulting clients are that they serve adult learners, do not issue degrees, and must generate revenue—and usually profit—from the learning products and services they offer. We do not consult with corporate training departments, academic degree programs, or K-12 education providers.
Consulting work is currently performed by the director of consulting services with support from other Tagoras staff members and, as needed, outside contractors. The individual selected for this position will be a full-time member of the consulting team and will report to and work closely with the director of consulting services.
The main areas in which we consult with learning businesses include market assessment, strategy formulation, and technology selection. While focused primarily on the delivery of consulting services, the consultant would also be expected to help with securing new consulting business.
Consulting Services (Approximately 80%)
- Lead and support solo or team-based consulting projects ensuring the outputs from our work fulfill the stated goals of each project and meet or exceed client expectations
- Lead and/or support multiple client projects at once
- Facilitate discussions with clients and stakeholders in both formal and informal contexts to gather information needed for addressing project goals
- Conduct research using a range of quantitative and qualitative methods including but not limited to surveys, interviews, focus groups, Internet search, and review of documents and Web pages
- Analyze and synthesize complex information gathered from the above activities into clear takeaways and recommendations
- Create work products which add demonstrable client value, including needs analysis summaries, competitive analysis reports, personas, product and program positioning reviews, pro forma budgets, financial scenarios, pricing analysis, and other recommendations
- Clearly and concisely present recommendations and work products to client stakeholders in the manner agreed to with the client
- In conducting the above activities, ensure that the timeline and milestones for the project are clearly understood and agreed to by the client, that all deadlines are met, and that progress on the project, along with any issues that arise, is communicated to the client on a consistent and timely basis
Business Development (Approximately 20%)
- Respond to inquiries from consulting prospects and engage in initial discussions to qualify each prospect
- For qualified prospects, establish the objectives, measures, value to be created, and methods to be used for each prospective project
- Using established Tagoras approaches and templates, develop proposals outlining the goals and parameters for prospective projects
- Nurture relationships with existing clients and seek to identify new opportunities for business
- Monitor news and activities in our market and seek to identify opportunities for business
- Represent Tagoras at client and industry events
As part of the responsibilities and activities outlined above, the consultant will be expected to participate in internal company meetings as needed for appropriate planning and coordination. Additionally, travel to client sites, industry events, or company meetings may occasionally be required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 10+ years of experience working in or for marketing-facing learning businesses (strong preference for experience with associations, academic continuing education, or commercial training firms)
- Experience leading complex consulting projects from start to finish
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative research and strong data collection and analysis skills
- Knowledge of diverse business areas such as strategy, marketing, technology, training, education, and events
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Skills in financial analysis and the ability to generate profit-and-loss statements and other basic financial documents
- Experience with project management
- Experience with common business applications such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (writing sample may be requested as part of the hiring process)
- Ability to manage and deliver on complex projects
- Market research familiarity, including collaborative survey design, as well as analysis that generates actionable recommendations to clients
- Experience with project management tools and software, databases, and/or business intelligence tools a plus (Qualtrics, Monday.com, Asana, etc.)
Culture and Compensation
As a small, founder-led company, Tagoras is committed to supporting a well-balanced life for each of its employees. We pride ourselves in delivering the highest quality of work to our clients but also in ensuring that all employees have the time and capacity to pursue whatever brings them joy outside of work. So long as client commitments are met in a timely and professional manner, employees are free to work the hours that fit their lives best and to take time off when needed. We manage to outcomes, not inputs, just as advise our clients to do.
Employees of Tagoras operate in a team-based environment but with a large degree of personal independence and commensurate responsibility. Given our focus on lifelong learning, we also strive to “walk the walk” and continually pursue learning as individuals and as a company.
Compensation includes the following:
- Annual salary, paid monthly, commensurate with experience
- Participation in the Tagoras Qualified Small Employer Healthcare Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) plan
- Following six months of employment, eligibility for participation in a 401(k) plan with employer match
- No limits on paid time off
- Stipend for professional development opportunities
Tagoras is an equal opportunity employer that believes in growing and promoting a diverse work force. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please send resume or referrals to firstname.lastname@example.org.