It’s been five years since we last reached out to colleagues at organizations, learning technology companies, and consulting firms across the association sector to gather their perspectives on what challenges and opportunities learning businesses will encounter in the coming year. So, we thought it was past time to find out how much as changed – or stayed the same – in the meantime.
We’ve once again contacted a range of folks – some of whom participated the last time, some who didn’t – and asked them the following:
- What current or emerging trend do you feel will most impact organizations in the business of lifelong learning in 2018?
- Why do you feel this is such an important trend, and what are some key ways that organizations could/should respond to and/or capitalize on it?
In the first part of what follows, I’ve done my best to weave all of the input into a cohesive narrative that covers five major themes:
- Leveraging Data for Growth and Impact
- Competing Effectively and Delivering Value
- Meeting Evolving Learner Needs and Expectations
- Embracing Emerging Formats and Delivery Methods
- Meeting the Capacity and Leadership Challenge
Following this narrative, I provide the full input from each person who participated. As was the case the last time around, there is plenty of good insight here – all of which merits careful consideration if not action. I encourage you to share this and discuss it with colleagues at your organization.
Also, if you are interested, you can read the last round-up here.
And, we encourage you to check out our take on recent and emerging trends.
Last, but not least, many thanks to everyone who took the time to provide input.