WBT Systems – TopClass
The following are highlights from the WBT Systems TopClass profile in the Association Learning Management Systems report.
Although WBT Systems has had a significant presence in the corporate market for many years, we were somewhat surprised when its TopClass system showed up as one of the LMSes most used by the associations participating in the survey behind our Association E-learning: State of the Sector report published in March 2009. TopClass made the same strong showing in an updated survey conducted at the end of 2010.
WBT Systems representatives indicate associations have become a major area of the company’s business, and WBT Systems is focused on adding to a roster of clients that already includes America’s Health Insurance Plans, the American Health Information Management Association, and the Associated General Contractors of America.
- WBT Systems emphasizes the degree to which TopClass is customizable. This is reflected not only in the use of cascading style sheets to control the user interface, but also in the ability to rename and attach extra information to nearly any functionality in the system.
- Combined interface customization and group management capabilities make it possible to provide a distinctly branded interface and a separate catalog for chapters or member companies.
- TopClass e-commerce functionality is among the best we have seen in any system. A number of clients, according to the company, have opted to replace their legacy shopping cart with the TopClass cart. One noteworthy feature of the system is the ability for a manager to make purchases on behalf of an employee or to buy in bulk and then distribute to employees—a good model for associations that sell courses to corporate purchasers.
- The system allows for “learning plans” that could be used, for example, to designate a set of courses required for a certification.
- A reports scheduler can be implemented, which allows reports to be scheduled to run at specific times and be automatically sent to specified users.
- The TopClass capabilities for administering instructor-led training (ILT) include tools for managing calendar and room conflicts. The company shared that at least one client has used the ILT capabilities for managing its annual conference.
- A license of TopClass Publisher, a simple authoring tool for courses and assessments, is included with TopClass. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint documents can be imported into Publisher for creating courses.
TopClass is one of the more feature-rich and sophisticated systems we reviewed. For organizations, especially larger ones, seeking maximum flexibility and strong e-commerce capabilities, TopClass is a solution to consider.
To purchase the full WBT Systems profile, which features nearly 30 pages of detailed information about TopClass, click the button below. Or, see other individual LMS profiles we offer and find out more about the full Association Learning Management Systems report.
Each LMS profile covers the following areas in detail:
- General Company Information
- General LMS Information
- LMS Implementation
- System Requirements
- Integration and Interoperability
- Standards and Guidelines
- Interface Configuration
- Internationalization and Localization
- Search and Catalogs
- Authoring, Managing, and Displaying Learning Content
- In-person, Place-based Courses
- Managing Continuing Education and Certification
- Support for Multiple Sites
- Collaboration and Communication Tools
- Support and Training
- Custom Programming and Content Development
If you have any questions about the contents of this page or about learning management systems in general, please do not hesitate to contact us.