Meridian KSI – Meridian Global
The following are highlights from the Meridian Global profile in the Association Learning Management Systems report.
Meridian claims to have been the first company to bring a fully Web-enabled LMS to market (in 1998), and it has certainly embraced the shift to Web 2.0: There are more than 1,700 published Web services for Meridian Global, and the company creates new ones every time a feature or function is added to the system. A few customers, according to the company, have even abandoned the Meridian Global interface entirely and consume the LMS functionality via Web services.
- Meridian is one of the handful of companies included in this report that allows client-hosted installations of its LMS. The base code for the application is locked down in its own directory, and all customizations are developed separate from the base code. This approach makes system upgrades significantly easier.
- Meridian Global features a fully integrated talent management capability that allows for aligning specific courses or learning paths with competencies.
- The system enables the creation of multiple, distinctly branded interfaces to support chapters, corporate members, or other e-learning customer groups.
- Meridian describes itself as authoring tool agnostic—the system can import any SCORM or AICC conformant content—but it does have a formal arrangement with Outstart to provide integrated access to that company’s learning content management system. (Additional costs apply.)
- Meridian Global has very good capabilities for creating assessments that may be published in conjunction with or independently of courses.
- The system supports assigning multiple credit types to a single course and enables administrators to define “approval paths” and assign them on a course-by-course basis.
- End users are able to personalize their learning environment in a number of ways, including selecting what appears on their home page, rearranging items, selecting from available skins, and changing languages.
- Meridian maintains a growing virtual library of online courses—over 18,000-courses that run on Meridian Global can help organizations flesh out their offerings.
- Median Global’s new mobile profile allows learners to sign up for and access online courses using their Droid, iPhone, or BlackBerry. The mobile profile detects the user’s browser and delivers a view of the LMS tailored to that type of device.
Meridian Global appears to provide solid value for the money—its three-year pricing for 25,000 users falls in the lowest third of pricing provided by companies participating in this report.
To purchase the full Meridian KSI profile, which features more than 40 pages of detailed information about Meridian Global, click the button below. Or, see other individual LMS profiles we offer and find out more about the full Association Learning Management Systems report.
Each LMS profile covers the following areas in detail:
- General Company Information
- General LMS Information
- LMS Implementation
- System Requirements
- Integration and Interoperability
- Standards and Guidelines
- Interface Configuration
- Internationalization and Localization
- Search and Catalogs
- Authoring, Managing, and Displaying Learning Content
- In-person, Place-based Courses
- Managing Continuing Education and Certification
- Support for Multiple Sites
- Collaboration and Communication Tools
- Support and Training
- Custom Programming and Content Development
If you have any questions about the contents of this page or about learning management systems in general, please do not hesitate to contact us.