Avilar WebMentor LMS
The following are highlights from the Avilar WebMentor LMS profile in the Association Learning Management Systems report.
Focused primarily on growing talent in the workforce, Avilar promotes itself as “The Competency Company.” While this sort of language applies most typically to corporate workforces, it translates well into any situation where particular competencies are required as part of a training or certification path.
WebMentor LMS is not actually the core of Avilar’s competency offering—the WebMentor Skills platform plays that role—but it does offer strong capabilities for defining and tracking certification criteria along with tools for managing and selling online course offerings.
- Avilar is among the companies included in this report that allow clients to host their own installation of the learning management system—most of its new clients opt for either shared or dedicated hosting on Avilar’s servers.
- Avilar emphasizes blended approaches to learning. WebMentor LMS is designed for managing instructor-led courses—both online and off—as well as on-demand e-learning.
- WebMentor LMS features a student rating system for courses. If enabled by the administrator, courses can be rated on a 1-to-5 scale by registered students, and these ratings show up in the course catalog.
- Learners can self-report and edit credit for courses taken outside of the system—a good feature for lifelong learners who may receive educational credit from a variety of sources.
- WebMentor LMS supports distribution of courses on CD-ROM to remote locations for installation and delivery on local computers. Tracking data then can be transferred back to the central server and synchronized in the student record database.
- The system provides an integrated e-commerce shopping cart along with good tools for managing courses as products. For example, multiple “sessions” of a course with distinct properties, including price, can be created.
- WebMentor Author, an online course authoring tool, is available for free with the WebMentor system. One caveat: Courses created with WebMentor Author are designed to be delivered exclusively in WebMentor LMS.
Since the last report, Avilar has developed a new version of its LMS. WebMentor LMS 6.2 provides enhanced calendar features (like Outlook integration and iCal attachments to e-mails sent to learners), support for user-specified time zone preferences, and tools to give hosted clients more self-sufficiency in installing Web-based courses. Avilar has also partnered with content providers ej4, InfoSource, and Compliance Online to offer WebMentor LMS customers easy access to up-to-date, cost-effective, and interactive Web-based training courses in areas like compliance and ethics, healthcare, and leadership.
Avilar offers a very solid platform that seems particularly attuned to selling and managing both online and offline training on a large scale.
To purchase the full Avilar Profile, which features nearly 30 pages of detailed information about the WebMentor LMS, click the button below. Or, see other individual LMS profiles we offer and find more about the full Association Learning Management Systems report.
Each LMS profile covers the following areas in detail:
- General Company Information
- General LMS Information
- LMS Implementation
- System Requirements
- Integration and Interoperability
- Standards and Guidelines
- Interface Configuration
- Internationalization and Localization
- Search and Catalogs
- Authoring, Managing, and Displaying Learning Content
- In-person, Place-based Courses
- Managing Continuing Education and Certification
- Support for Multiple Sites
- Collaboration and Communication Tools
- Support and Training
- Custom Programming and Content Development
If you have any questions about the contents of this page or about learning management systems in general, please do not hesitate to contact us.